Pages

November 17, 2010

Thanksgiving Plans

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/
content/web/goodthings/gt043_autcentr01_xl.jpg
We are a week out and I haven't thought about 1 thing "turkey" related. Part of this is because we are going home this year, the other is that there will only be 5 of us. I don't know how to cook any meal for JUST 5 people. I can barely cook for 2. I know how to cook for a small army: End. Of. Story.

So while I wasn't running last night, I flipped through some November issue magazines, my recipe book and my own head. I had to stop and text my Mom, who happens to be in Maui with my dad on vacation, and ask: "How do we cook Thanksgiving dinner for 5 people?" Her beautiful answer:
"Any way you want...without restrictions."

I love my Mom to bits and pieces!










Here is a rough draft...


Appetizers:
  • TBD
Salad:


Main:

  • Mashed Potatoes: I can't screw with tradition. Boil potatoes in salted water with a few cloves of garlic. Strain and remove garlic. Use a masher or ricer and add butter and cream, salt and pepper. The End.
  • Turkey rubbed with homemade sage butter. I have used this since 2005 or 2006. I don't use this recipe for stuffing. Seriously, my arteries hurt when I shove butter under the turkey skin. Don't be surprised when you gravy is green-ish. 
  • Sweet Potatoes: Inspiration required...*update* I am beginning to think that you can't screw with these either. Roast, peel, mash add butter, cream, citrus, maple syrup, place under broiler for crunchy top. 
  • Stuffing: I have only screwed with this tradition lightly, and that was to blend my Mom's recipe with one Tim had grown up with. Saute finely chopped onions, celery and bacon. Add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Toss with bread cubes you chop and left out over night (away from Mr. Vegas). We have always used white bread, this year I hope to sneak in some whole wheat bread. Add chicken stock as needed. Make sure there is enough to stuff your turkey and a separate casserole. 
  • Crescent rolls...obviously
  • Cranberry Sauce: I have to admit I'm a fan of the can. 
Dessert:




And because you HAVE to eat WHILE you are cooking, I'm thinking this will do the job for breakfast.

1 comment: